Follow me on Pinterest

Follow Me on Pinterest

Eating my words...

So, I took a cake decorating class a few years ago and was obsessed with my new talent. I made a cake for every occasion.

However, I had never ventured into using cake fondant until last year. I volunteered to make my best friend's son's birthday cake. The theme was basketball and I thought "I could totally do this!"

My idea was to make a basketball jersey and a basket ball. I found an awesome recipe for a marshmallow cake fondant (taste way better than the regular kind). Anyway, I prepared it the night before and the morning of the party was ready to go. My cakes were cooled, my butter cream made and I was ready to get rolling...

So I did my crumb icing / dirty icing and I waited for it to dry. I then rolled out my fondant and cover my basketball. BOOYAH! Perfecto! I was so happy. I mixed my colors and brushed them on. Not bad! I am impressed! Looks so good!

Okay, so I am ready to do the same for the sheet cake (the basketball jersey), I roll out my fondant AND dun dun dun dun DUUUUUUUUUUUUN! It's too sho
rt, not enough, poquito, little... Ugh! AHHHHHHHHHHHH!

Did I mention that it was 100 degrees that day and super humid? My AC was going full force and I was still sweating and hot! So I am a nervous wreck. I only have 3 hours to shower, get dressed, and drive for a half hour!

So I make new fondant. The process was a pain in the (ahem) neck. It was so greasy and would not roll out well because of th
e humidity. I was getting so frustrated, so I decided to take a break. I started cleaning my supplies and sweeping all the powdered sugar from the floor. I then go back to the fondant and finally get it rolled out. I put it on the cake, but cannot add the numbers or the edging of the jersey because the dough is still sticky. I decide to chill it in the fridge while I shower and get the kids ready.

Okay, so I am dolled up and ready to go. The only thing needed is to put the edging and the numbers on the jersey. I go into the fridge to get the cake out and realize that it didn't clear! All of my fondant was stuck to the shelf above the cake! Flood gates open and I start to bawl. I call my BFF and
tell her that I will be late and explain my debacle. She tries to calm me down. She tells me to bring it as it is, all that is important is my presence. Are you kidding me?! Bring that mess to the party?! Oh, heck no. So I wipe my tears and try to salvage the cake. I ended up doing this half butter cream - half fondant mess! Everyone at the party was polite - they told me what a great job I did..blah, blah, blah. I smiled and tried my best to believe them.

After that day I have NOT been able to bring myself to decorate a cake. I've made plenty of yummy cakes since then, but my excuse for not decorating them is that as long as they taste good, they don't have to look good. That day, while wiping my tears, I had promised to NEVER ever decorate another cake.

So, anyway, did I mention that hubby and I love the show Cake Boss? Anyway, (with a sheepish look) I was thinking,
that-maybe-I-may-try-and-decorate-a-cake. My daughter's birthday is coming up and it would mean a lot to her if mommy went back to decorating her cakes.

Anyways, I'll keep you posted...

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Daisypath - Personal picture

Weather

 
Random Entries Blog Design by Ipietoon