Follow me on Pinterest

Follow Me on Pinterest

Homemade French Toast Sticks

My children love "store bought" French Toast Sticks. I stopped buying them about 4 years ago when I dramatically changed our eating habits. I remember how easy it was to just pop a few in the oven for breakfast and how yummy they were.  And I have been tempted to buy a box, but when I read the ingredients, I just can't do it. 


I have always made French Toast from scratch, but never French Toast Sticks.  You would think it's the same thing except that sticks are cut into strips, but my kids would argue that they taste differently.  I must say that I agree with them.  There's just something about them darn "store" bought sticks.  I've been on a quest to find the right recipe and the right bread and by gosh I think I've got it!


Okay, I use Rudi's Organic Sourdough Bread, until I find a good sourdough recipe, and do the following:


Cut each slice of bread into 4 pieces to make the sticks. 

In a shallow dish whisk together:
1 cup milk
2 T pure maple syrup
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon salt
3 large eggs,


Melt half of the butter in a large skillet over medium heat.

Dip half of the bread slices into milk mixture, 
quickly turning to coat both sides.
Remove from the milk mixture 
and place the slices into the pan. 

Cook until each side is lightly browned, 
about 2 to 4 minutes per side.
Remove from the skillet 
and repeat with process with remaining butter, bread and the milk mixture.

Serve immediately or allow to cool, then cover and chill (freezes really well) until ready to serve.
When ready to serve, reheat in the oven or toaster oven.


Enjoy! Sprinkle with powder sugar if you wish. 
So yummy with a cup of coffee.  
Uh-oh, getting a craving!  Not good - it's 10:30 PM! 


Oh!  One more thing.  
I use the little plastic medicine cups that come 
with children's medicine as dipping cups (see 2nd to last pic).  
They work great for this purpose!  
Just make sure you wash them really well before use :) 

2 comments:

  1. YUM-O!! This is why I love American-style breakfast!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Come over! I'll make you some w/ some sautéed organic bananas in maple syrup. Oh no! Giving myself another freaking craving. Okay, come over and make me some..lol.

    ReplyDelete

Daisypath - Personal picture

Weather

 
Random Entries Blog Design by Ipietoon